Tuesday 10 August 2021

The Ballantynes Fire

What do I think I know about this disaster?


I know that it was a fire and it happed on November 18th, 1974. and I know it in Christchurch because my parents have been there.


What do I think I will learn about this disaster?

I think that I will find out some really interesting facts about the history of Christchurch.


Task 2


1. people were served by waitress in aprons and caps, expensive clothes were sold and ladies wore hats and gloves. It was a designer store.

2. Christchurch 

3. November 18th, 1947 at 3.46pm.

4. They had no smoke alarms and no evacuation plans. The downstairs workers thought it was just a small little fire so they didn't tell the people upstairs 

5. 41 workers died in the fire two people jumped out of a window they were left unconscious they were hospitalized and they still survived.

6.

Video link 

Video 2

Notes- 

- Worst fire in NZ history 

- 46 people were missing including the people that died

- Army and airforce helped the firemen keep control of the crowd 

- the trapped workers were waving down to the people in the street asking for help before they engulfed them and killed 

-they had 25mins before the first flames were seen 

-This resource wasn't useful because it was too long and it was unclear to hear. but some of the bits were helpful



No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post